Arafura Games 05 (Opening Ceremony) 2005
Marrara Sports Stadium, Darwin
A 35-minute dance work performed on a sporting oval leading into 5 minutes of fireworks. Utilising local dancers in a performance that relied on human energy rather than large props and puppets. The concept was evolved from the 2003 Tracks concept for the Opening that was not realised due to cancellation of the Games that year because of the SARS virus.
As you drive into Darwin you are greeted by the sign ‘Welcome to Darwin – Home of the Arafura Games”. Tracks Dance Company was commissioned by the Northern Territory Government to direct the main act of the 2005 Opening Ceremony. In creating this human spectacular we engaged over 400 Darwin dancers encompassing youth, professional, seniors, multicultural and Indigenous. International guest artists from Sri Lanka’s Sama Ballet (Snakes Gods and Deities) and Rajini Dance Academy (due to a grant received by the Sri Lanka Australia Friendship Association) and Markum Galut (4WD Sweat Dust and Romance), from Papua New Guinea, also joined the cast. It was watched by a live audience of 12,000 and a television audience throughout Australia and South East Asia. TIm Newth
Concept / Direction: Tim Newth
Assistant Director: David McMicken
Choreographer: Julia Quinn
Assistant Choreographer (Cultural groups): Julia Gray
Youth Dance Leaders: Jessica Rosewarne, Maxi Gonzales Finestone, Marko Taopo, Erwin Fenis
Sound Track: David Pratt, Matthew Cunliffe and Airi Ingram
Costumes Designer: Andrea Lee
Allyson Arjibuk Mills (Larrakia Spirit), Markum Galut (Wallaby)
Judith Allen, Lucy Aylett, Betty Ballinger, Marj Baxter, Kay Brown, Bette Chapman, Val Clark, Idalia De Sousa, Diane Dibbins, Marge Duminski, Liz Gammon, Margaret Glowacki, Audrey Gorring, Kathleen Harding, Jan Hastings, Crena Hemmings, Sheila Hensby, Val Hristova, Margaret Lee, Elaine Marlow, Helen Murphy, Anne Newman, Bev Paget, Shirley Somers, Janine Sutter, Gwen Varney, Punny Vegter, Maria Vlastuin, Mavis Waddell, Jacquie Williams, Norma Young
Tracks Female Youth Dancers:
Natalie Aitken, Shannyce Alderton, Jacintha Anderson, Holly Au, Lisa Bainbridge, Jamaica Bardsley, Tegan Barrett-McGuin, Melissa Bateman, Hal Brophy, Lucy Buckley, Tessa Calver-James, Victoria Close, Alana Colton, Sarah Cooper, Zoe Crawford, Clare Cundell, Tatjana Daly, Danarose Dizon, Natalee Evans, Alana Fawcett, Katrina Firth, Karly Fisher, Sachini Gamage, Loni Garnons-Williams, Shayna Gavin, Jessica Gollow, Maxi Gonzales Finestone, Trudi Goodworth, Karajayne Handberg, Noni Harold, Emma Hoffman, Monica Jacobs, Rebekah Jarvis, Sophie Kerr, Anokai Lancaster, Flori Latif, Sailoung Mannion, Jessica McMaster, Lorraine Meehan, Laurinda Morrison, Catherine Murray, Shaan Myall, Corina Nichols, Bec Noble, Rosie O'Reilly, Kira Parker, Luci Pisanu, Aimee Pitman, Stephanie Quinn, Hannah Reed, Elle Richards, Jensine Rickert, Jessica Rosewarne, Maryanne Roufeil, Jess Sadler-Keary, Sarah Sarmiento, Bianca Scrymgour, Natasha Shepley, Saskrita Shrestha, Melanie Silva, Clair Simpson, Jessica Spry, Natalie Stephenson, Vera Tabuzo, Josephine Tchia, Jessie Truscott, Jana Tumuls, Tuesday Turner, Megan Waters, Holly Wilson, Sarah Wilson, Lyka Zarate
Tracks Male Youth Dancers:
Gavin Alder, Ricky Borg, Wesley Camigla, Laurenzo da Silva, Imanuel Dado, Bryce Dempsey, Erwin Fenis, Steven Jenes, John Koenig, Phillip Koenig, Mio Kovacevic, Aston Low, Angelo Morfe, Ryan Newton, Jeremiah Rasing, John Rigas, Mark Taopo, Daniel Tolliday-Henderson, John Vargas, Matthew White
Karate – Austin Martial Arts Soo Bahk Do display team:
Angela Agostini, Olivia Agostini, Paul Andrade, Alex Austin, Jan Austin, Louise Austin, Michael Austin, Peter Baynes, Curtis Brownjohn, Angelique Buc, Laing Clark, Jemma Cotter, Fletcher Ellis, Lachlan Ellis, PJ Goodrem, Ingrid Herbert, Mary Hertog, Bernard Kelly, Pasco Lawler, Raphael Lawler, Stephen McGrath, Kylie McMartin, Heather Moorcroft, Sharyn Morcom, Joe Parry, Pierre Ray Du Boisseau, Daniel Robertson, Mark Ross, Jessica Sariago, Candy Scroop, Kristin Sodoli, Annie Spillett, Matthew Thrupp, Peter Tibbets, Laura Tolomei, Jasmine Tremblay, Bill Ulstrup, Thor Ulstrup, Dika Wood
Sri Lankan Group
Ajith Amarasiri, Anika Perera, Anil Abeyesinghe, Apsara Haris, Chandana Herath, Chandrika Munasinghe, Damayanthi Selvanayagam, Hemachandra Matotage, Indika Gamage, Jayanthasiri Attanayaka, Krishan Prathapan, Manjula Wickyamarachchi, Prasanna Rupathilaka, Rukshan Pushpakumara, Sandyani Gunatunge, Sashani Liyaanarachchi, Shehana Munasinghe, Suranga Bothejue
Chung Wah Society Lion & Dragon Troupe
Alan Warchot, Andrew Chin, Andrew Chin Jr, David Chin, Edward Tsang, Gavin Chin, Leonal Tchia, Nathan Tam, Nick Brown, Ricky Chow, Rohan Chin, Same Lew, Sean Pearson, Timothy Ho, Tom Bailey, Victor Jong, Warren Wong, Zac Chan
Pacific Island Dance Groups:
Kiribati South Sea Island Dancers, Tifa Of The South Seas, Sunameke Pacific Island Performers, The Maori Boys
Ana Ragata, Cynthia Muller, Demelza Canuto, Di Fuamoli, Emma Muller, Emma Sullivan, Eralia Willoughby, Heta Crombie, Hudson Higlett, Julia Gray, Khan Croft, Kira Sullivan, Luana Muggerridge, Mali Gray, Maria Jones, Marie L Aiba, Mark James, Markhum Galut, Mary Aram, Mele Tupou, Moale James, Monique Moffat, Paia Ingram, Pamela Cameron, Puru Westrupp, Ranu James, Rosanne Muller, Rosa Norman, Rose Sweetapple, Rosia Miller, Sanya Maclean, Sariah Muggeridge, Sose Fuamoli, Tamika Groom, Yola Gray, Yomei Jones
Rince Na Eireann – Irish Dance Group
Alex Gotze, Alissa Caldwell, Amy McKay, Andrew Lague, Bridgeen Marron, Brittany Austin, Claire Marron, Elouisa Edwards, Elisha Narta, Ellen Carter, Emily Lines, Emma Williams, Gabriella Austin, Iona Watson, Jessica Flight, Josephine Blake, Kaitlyn Champion, Kaycee Mepham, Lee Treacy, Lisa Bound, Mara Dobrini, Maree McLinden, Meghan Lague, Nikole Lines, Owen Spencer, Rachael Bateman, Shauna McGuire-Olstad, Shawnee Mepham, Siobhan Evans, Siobhan McGuire-Olstad, Stella Hubel, Tavis Waldegrave, Teagan Mahon
Filipino Community Group
Adam Bretton, Angie Cope, Annalee Boholst, Annalyn Mcleod, Belinda Thiel, Tanita Thiel, Betchay Mondragon, Chelsea Quong, Esperanza Quindara, Flora Brown, Jess Del Rosario, Josef Fehringer, Josef Un-kukla, Judith Ventic, Ken Hutton, Ligaya Mcleod, Lisa Mcleod, Marichu King, Myrna Rogers, Nannette Thiel, Paul-Miguel Hutton, Rebecca Parish, Rose Cusbert, Sean Hutton, Vilmu Stinton, Vivian Rajala
Mediterranean Greek Cultural Group
Anastsis Hatzialou, Charlie Hourdas, Christina Darkodarkis, Christoralan Patmios, Eleni Hatzialou, Emanual Siriotis, Gala Pastikos, Hehal Siriotis, Jamie Trikilis, Janine Dawborn, John Siriotis, Maria Hourdas, Michael Siriotis, Melissa Siriotis, Panda Taktikos, Pauline Melas, Roslyn Siriotis, Sevasti Hourdas, Strato Melas, Theo Taktikos, Theofanis Kokkinomaqoulos, Thomas Siriotis, Tracy Siriotis
Stars – Anula Primary School
Adam Yon, Arrin Hazelbane, Azhar Meeragani, Barnaetar Nyondy, Ben Quinn, Bill Fanning, Brandon Mardius, Brendan Sheddon, Callum Parker, Camila Gonzalez-Quintero, Christina Sang, Christopher Paige, Clair Kiely, Clint Wood, Daniel Enniss, Darcy Tupper-Creed, Darren Cubillo, Delena Washington, Eilish Simpson, Elizabeth Andrades, Elleanor Hubel, Emily Tchea, Emma Kendall, Erin Kendall, Ferdi Flordeliza, Fletcher Luders, Francis Flordeliza, Gelena Mitsakis, Gusgede Ida Bagus Gede, Harry Sutton, Humaira Mohammed, Ilias Karpathios, Imogen Studders, Isobel Kilmartin, Jack Pedlar, Jacob Meehan-Lee, Jade Merrifield, Jake Kirby, Jamie Miller, Jan Fanning, Jasmine Chen, Jasmine Kelly, Jason Lim, Jerome Motlop, Joseph Hazelbane, Josie Maher, Karlee Richards, Kauri (Cody) Westrupp, Kaylah Tam, Kelsey Hales, Kevin Phan, Louise Hall, Luke Botica, Maddison Fletcher, Maddison Kidd, Maighdlin Simpson, Maree Garrigan, Mark Pearce, Marni Ridgeway, Matt Bennet, Matthew Lim, Michelle Shedden, Nathan Chen, Nickolas Fermanis, Nivio Branco, Ploy Watanato, Rabeya Mohammed, Patricia Myers, Ricky De Santis, Robert Justo, Roley Deer, Ruben Anderson, Sam O'Neill Thorne, Santriana Goodrem, Shaquille Walker, Shayne Quinn, Stacey Littman, Susan Al Tai, Tahlia Pierik, Tianee Richardson, Tiffany Kindell, Tyrone Bain Mamarika, Vanettis Fernandes, Zac McPhillips
Manipulators: Alex Hatzivalsamis, Steven Lovison, Terry Brady, Ian O'Reilly, Kevin Kadirgamat, Daniel Kayes
- Local Wallaby Story: International guest from Papua New Guinea, Dancer Markum Galut, displays his amazing ability to transform into an animal. Here he becomes a wallaby, calmly eating its food while the world around it gears up.
- Preparing The Ground: As good little Aussies, we mow our lawns in preparation for having visitors, busloads of people arrive.
- Preparing The Mind And Body: Athletes require dedicated preparations for their competitions. The Austin Martial Arts School meet the Tracks Youth Dancers, demonstrating the high level of preparation required. Youth Dancers use semaphore flag signals to spell out ‘Arafura, prepare mind body’.
- Bring It On (1): Busloads of women from the Grey Panthers Senior Women’s dance troupe arrive ready for a game of lawn bowls. On seeing that they have been dropped on a football oval, and on seeing the 12,000 pairs of eyes watching them, they take their moment in the limelight and show off their precision routines.
- Bring It On (2): The Tracks Youth Dancers, not to be outdone by their grandmothers, flood the arena with pompoms and energy. Their cheer leading brings it on and the Grey Panthers join in.
- Prepare The Spirit – The Stars Align: As night falls we have the time to look at our place in the Universe and check that all is in alignment in readiness for the games to begin. The stars, performed by students from Anula Primary School, form constellations, galaxies, and comets, swirling and shifting. Allyson Arjibuk Mills calls upon the Larrakia spirit to make sure that all is right within the land.
- Calling In The Ambassadors: Arjibuk calls in other Ambassadors representing the many cultures that have made Darwin their home. From Chinese, Irish, South East Asian, Papua New Guinea and Pacific Islands, Greek and Sri Lankan.
- Cultural Explosion: A cultural explosion takes place as Darwin becomes the diverse place it is today, opening its arms to the many people of the world who come to live and visit here. Together, they dance their dances and create new meaning on this ancient land.
- The Grid: All performers enter the space to come together.
- Lighting The Universe: The land takes three breaths, uniting the body, mind and Spirit. Single burning lights unite to place us all on the same map. A wave of fire fills the arena.
- Ignite: The fireworks begin and the spirit of our region is ignited ready for the Games to begin.
Artistic Directors: David McMicken and Tim Newth
Company Manager: Sue Mornane
Dance Animateur: Julia Quinn
Bookkeeper: Julie Stark
Development Consultant: Suzanne Fermanis
Committee Members: Jackie Wurm (Chair), David Taylor (Vice-Chair), Glenn Bernardin (Treasurer), Sonia Brownhill (Secretary/Public Officer), Ken Conway, Donna Quong, Jill MacAndrew (Ordinary Committee Members), David McMicken and Tim Newth (Ex-Officio Members)
Public Fund Trustees: Rev. Steve Orme, Dr Anita Toth, Paul Wan
"An opening night to remember… High energy dance… The build up to the grand finale was breathtaking…" Patrina Malone and Clive Hyde, NT News
"A fantastic performance…"
"It really highlighted our lifestyle and rich diversity…"
"A thoroughly enjoyable evening…"